With the American Heart Association recommending the public to eat fish at least twice a week for better cardiovascular health, you might want to add a few slices of them to your grocery list. Cod is definitely an excellent option since it’s easily available and equally easy to prepare.
And to make matters way easier, you can also just opt to pop it in an air fryer and have a sumptuous meal within minutes.
This fish and chips recipe will help you whip up a healthy and enjoyable dish on the busiest evenings as it won’t take a lot of time to prepare. Check out how to make it below.
1 lb potatoes, peeled and sliced accordingly
1 lb cod fillets, breaded*
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat your air fryer to 400F.
- Prepare the ingredients. Slice the potatoes into your preferred fry size and bread your cod fillet if you got the unbreaded variety.
- In a clean bowl, put all of the potatoes and coat them with salt and pepper. This is an optional step as you can also just opt to sprinkle the salt and pepper into the fry basket upon placing the ingredients inside.
- Place the ingredients inside the fry basket. Depending on your air fryer’s size, you might need to work in batches or place all of the ingredients in the same fry basket. If you got a pre-breaded cod, this wouldn’t be an issue. But if you breaded your fish on your own, it would be best to place them on separate baskets or cook them in batches. This can prevent the breading from getting to your potatoes.
- Drizzle olive oil on the ingredients. This is also an optional step as not everyone wants to use oil in their air fryers. However, if you want your fish and fries to taste like they’re fried, this is a must. If you prefer a ‘baked’ taste, skip the oil. If you’re going to add oil, however, make sure to use a rack to keep the fish from sitting in all the oil while cooking.
- Place the fry basket back in the air fryer and cook for five to ten minutes at 350F. Open the basket and turn the ingredients after this mark and then cook again for five to ten minutes or until the ingredients become crispy.
The Health Benefits of Cod Fish:
There are tons of reasons why you should add cod fish to your regular diet. Aside from the fact that it’s tasty and easily available all year round, it’s also a very healthy seafood option.
Just how healthy? Let us count the ways:
[su_list icon=”icon: check” icon_color=”#228B22″]
- It has high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids that the body needs. It also contains EPA and DHA, both are essential fatty acids that can help lower the cholesterol levels in your bloodstream.
- It’s low in calories. A 3-ounce serving will only set you back with 72 calories.
- It’s a great source of lean protein. For the same amount of serving, you can get 15.9 g of protein.
- It contains vitamin B-12. This nutrient is beneficial for your nerve and heart health as well as turns macronutrients into energy.
Its mercury content is also another thing to be careful with. Experts recommend limiting your cod intake for up to 6 servings per month to avoid high mercury intake.