If there’s one veggie that even the pickiest eater would not hesitate to eat, it would be a potato. Hailed by BBC as the world’s favorite root vegetable, it would be really hard not to love this ingredient.
Why not when you can enjoy it in various different ways? It’s also the ultimate comfort food for a lot of people.
While fries and mashed potatoes are some of the most popular ways to enjoy this root crop, you can change it up a bit with potato wedges.
They’re a lot like fries but you get bigger portions so it can help you spice things up at home if your household loves having potatoes on the side.
Here’s an easy air fryer wedges recipe to help you get started right away.
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp parsley flakes
½ tsp salt
⅛ tsp black pepper, ground
- Prepare the potatoes. Wash each piece thoroughly. You can opt to peel it but some folks prefer cooking it with the skin as it adds more texture to the dish. Cut them in wedges and then rinse them in cold water to remove the excess starch.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400F for five minutes.
- Place the cut potatoes in the bowl. Add all the other ingredients and toss them all together. Make sure to mix well so each wedge can get enough flavoring.
- Lightly coat your fry basket with oil by spraying or brushing. Place the wedges inside carefully. Do not let them overlap to ensure even cooking.
- Cook the wedges for 10 minutes. Flip the wedges and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Check for doneness once the timer runs out. You can opt to keep cooking (in 2-minute increments) if you haven’t reached your desired level of crispiness just yet.
- Serve with your choice of dip.
Health Benefits of Air Fryer Potato Wedges:
Potatoes may not necessarily be the healthiest veggies out there but it has its fair share of nutrients. It may be starchy and rich in carbohydrates but at least it contains complex carbs and that’s a better choice than simple carbs.
It’s also rich in fiber, vitamins, and other minerals, so it can be beneficial to your health.
You can also boost the health benefits you’ll get from these tubers by preparing them in a healthy way. Air frying them is an excellent choice for this for various reasons. Here are a few that should help you give this dish a chance:
1. They’re usually made of actual potatoes.
The biggest difference between potato fries and potato wedges is that the wedges are often made with real potatoes. Due to their shape, most folks just opt to make them from scratch while it’s just easier to pick up a bag of frozen fries at the supermarket.
As a result, potato wedges won’t have any preservatives in them as frozen fries would. So if you want a healthier way to enjoy a snack, wedges tend to be a more attractive option.
2. This dish uses less oil in its preparation.
If you want to enjoy potatoes on a healthy diet, air frying would be an excellent move since you don’t need to use a lot of oil in its preparation. This will help you limit your calorie and cholesterol consumption which is always a good thing for your overall health.
To further boost the health benefits of this dish, you can also use healthier types of potatoes.