The most common mistakes include using too much brown sugar, or maybe even water was used. The apples may have been overcooked. Perhaps there was too much spice.
The real secret to coming up with a terrific pan of southern fried apples is to not over-complicate things. Just keep it simple. Never mind whatever fancy cornstarch, juices, extracts, or syrup you may want to include. They’re not needed at all.
2 large granny smith apples, peeled and sliced into wedges
Juice of ½ lemon
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
4 tablespoons of chopped real butter
2 tablespoons of white sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into even slices.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the apples and drizzle them with lemon juice.
- Let the apples simmer until most of the butter is absorbed and apples are tender.
- Don’t overcook. The apples should be firm to the touch, yet they should be tender with a little give to the bite.
- Stir together the sugars and sprinkle them over the apples.
- Toss everything together to mix them all well.
- Lower the heat if necessary.
- Set the deep fryer’s temperature to 350F and the timer to 5 minutes.
- Let the apples cook until the sugars are completely dissolved and syrupy.
- Remove the apple slices from the heat and sprinkle them with cinnamon.
- Toss the food ingredients to distribute the cinnamon evenly.
- Take out the apple slices, plate, and enjoy!
Granny Smith apples tend to be the best option for fried apple sticks. If you don’t have Granny Smith apples, maybe you can substitute a Red Delicious Apple.
If you don’t have lemon juice, try apple juice (which is probably logical if you think about it). Then eat it with ice cream and see what you think!
Health Benefits of Deep Fried Apple Sticks:
As the saying goes, ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away.’ This refers to just how nutritious apples are, making them some of the most amazing fruits and snacks out there.
So if you’re wondering why you should try making these apple sticks, here are a few reasons that might convince you:
1. They’re packed with nutrients.
Which nutrients and vitamins can you get from apples? Here are some:
- Vitamins C, K, A, E, B1, B2, and B6
2. They can be good for your heart.
Studies show that apples are packed with antioxidants and are proven to help lower bad cholesterol levels and blood pressure so it can be a good addition to a heart-loving diet.
3. Apples can help reduce your risks of diabetes and obesity.
According to a study, eating three servings of apples per week have a 7% lower risk of getting type 2 diabetes. It can also affect the good bacteria in your gut which can then help you fight obesity.
4. They can help boost your neurological health.
Experts also found that apples can help fight dementia, promote the production of an essential neurotransmitter, and reduce the instances of the death of brain cells.
This recipe might just help you to consume more apples and get more benefits from this fruit. So why not give it a try and you might be surprised at how enjoyable this snack can be.