Another Southern dish that is completely mouthwatering and unique would be fried chicken gizzard. Not a lot of people, especially those who didn’t grow up eating these treats, would trip over themselves to have a bite.
But any true blue Southerner, especially the ones who have been away for a long time, will be more than thrilled to partake in a serving or two of this dish.
What makes deep fried chicken gizzard such a delicious hit? For some, it’s the meat’s texture that is perfectly paired with the crunchy batter.
Like other Southern treats, fried chicken gizzard is often cooked through deep frying. So you need a good deep fryer to make this work.
With a deep fryer and these directions, you can now enjoy the smokiness and the crunchiness of a true Southern snack.
1 lb chicken gizzard
1 cup whole milk buttermilk
2 tbsp seasoning salt of your choice (try everglades seasoning)
2 tbsp hot sauce of your choice (try sriracha)
1 cup self-rising flour
1 tbsp seasoning salt of your choice
2 tspsmoked paprika
1 tspblack pepper
- Prepare your marinade. Mix the buttermilk, seasoning salt, and your choice of hot sauce (if you want it spicy) in a bowl.
- Add the gizzard in the mix and let it sit overnight. Ideally, this should be for 8 to 12 hours. The length of depends on how you want your finished product to taste, but marinating overnight enables the buttermilk to tenderize the gizzards.
- Prepare your breading. Mix all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl or bag and mix them well.
- Once the gizzard is nicely marinated, coat the gizzards evenly with the breading. Let each piece get properly covered by flour.
- Heat the deep fryer to 320 degrees. Place the gizzard inside. You might need to cook in batches to make sure of thorough cooking.
- This will cook fast, as you only need about 4 to 6 minutes. You just need to wait until the gizzards are golden brown.
- Once they’re done, drain them on paper towels and serve with your favorite sauce.
Health Benefits of Deep Fried Chicken Gizzard:
A lot of people don’t expect Southern dishes to be anything remotely healthy, so it comes as a surprise to some that chicken gizzard contains some nutritional value.
Of course, deep frying them tends to make them more fatty than healthy. If you air fry them, however, you’ll be able to cut out the fat and calories and will let you better enjoy its nutrients.
But what exactly are its health benefits? Here are a few:
1. It’s rich in proteins.
A single cup serving of this meat will let you enjoy 44 g of protein. That’s way more than what a lot of protein drinks can give you.
2. It contains a few different vitamins and minerals.
Chicken gizzard also has:
- Vitamin B-12
3. Air fried chicken gizzard can make it less fatty.
Unfortunately, chicken gizzard is high in cholesterol. This is why deep frying it can be too fatty for a lot of people. Deep frying it will let you enjoy its tastiness without having too much guilt, though.
However, if you don’t overindulge then some deep fried chicken gizzard won’t be too bad!