Chicken may be one of the best kinds of white meat out there but it doesn’t mean that all dishes made with this ingredient are good for your diet. Due to its mild flavor, it’s highly versatile, so it can be cooked in many different ways with various ingredients.
However, not all of them are considered healthy dishes. But if all that matters for you is its scrumptious taste, then deep frying chicken is its own reward.
It’s tasty and enjoyable so a lot of people love eating them. Unfortunately, it has 3 times the calories of boiled chicken. So if you want to stick to a healthy diet, you may want to avoid over-indulging.
The nice thing about deep fried chicken is that you can even enjoy it at room temperature. But it’s often better when served warm or hot. Try this recipe we have, which can satisfy 4 easygoing folks or a couple of ravenous diners.
1 fryer chicken (weighing 2.5 to 3 pounds) cut into 8 to 10 pieces with the skin
Lard or peanut oil for deep-frying
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper or paprika
- Wash the chicken inside and out with cold water, drain it well, and pat it completely dry.
- If the chicken is freshly butchered, you can soak it for up to 2 hours in ice water to help draw the blood out.
- Put enough lard in a large heavy pot to totally cover the chicken pieces (they should float in the fat).
- Place the pot over medium-high heat, and heat it to 370 degrees.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Combine the flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a heavy paper bag and shake to mix.
- Add the chicken pieces one at a time, shaking to coat.
- When the fat reaches 370 degrees, use tongs to lower the chicken into the fat, one piece at a time. Do not crowd the pot, and keep the temperature between 365 and 375 degrees.
- Fry the chicken until it is golden brown and tender.Turn the pieces if necessary, so they brown evenly in about 20 minutes.
- As they are done, transfer the pieces to the wire rack. Use a slotted spoon or a wire mesh strainer to remove any debris from the fat then continue frying the rest of the chicken.
- Serve the chicken hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Health Benefits of Low Carb Deep Fried Chicken:
How is chicken healthy for you? Let us count the ways:
1. It’s packed with proteins.
Chicken is a good source of protein. A 3-oz boneless serving will give you 27 g of protein which can already supplement a good portion of your daily needs.
2. It contains other vitamins and minerals.
Chicken also contains Vitamins B6 and B3. It also has selenium which is known to help fight cancer.