Fried oysters tend to come as a revelation to those who didn’t grow up enjoying them. Sure, this ingredient is amazing when eaten raw, baked, grilled, or even in a stew.
If you want to give this a try at home, you can easily do so. In fact, you can even use your air fryer to whip up a healthier version of the Southern favorite.
How? Check out the air fryer oyster recipe below that you can add to your po’boy or simple greens.
12 plump fresh oysters, shucked
2 large eggs
1 cup panko or breadcrumbs
½ cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp hot sauce
½ tsp Creole or Cajun seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking oil spray
- Prepare the oyster breading. In one bowl, whisk the eggs and hot sauce together. Put the flour in another. Crush the panko or breadcrumbs a bit more and then place it in a third shallow bowl.
- Grab a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.
- Start breading your oysters. Cover them first in flour then shake off the excess before dipping each piece in the egg mixture. Again, shake the excess and then roll them around in the breadcrumbs.
- Place all of the oysters in the baking sheet. Once they’re all lined up, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spray oil lightly on the fry basket. Take out the baking sheet from the fridge and place the oysters inside.
- Set the air fryer to 400F and 2 minutes then start cooking. Shake the fry basket occasionally. Check the doneness of the oysters and cook it more if it hasn’t reached your preferred doneness.
- Once done, remove from the fry basket and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve according to your po’boy or simple greens recipe.
Health Benefits of Air Fryer Oysters:
For most folks, oysters are special-occasion food. They’re exotic so it makes sense that they’re not something a lot of us eat on a regular basis. This gives it a certain charm that allures many into getting excited about eating them.
What a lot of people don’t know is that they’re also very healthy ingredients. They offer the following health benefits so you might just be more inclined to eat them:
- Raw oysters are proven to be effective aphrodisiacs. Scientists discovered the truth behind the belief that eating raw oysters can stimulate libido has some merit to it.
- It’s a low-calorie meat. A half-dozen medium-sized oysters will only make you consume 45 calories. The numbers won’t really go up a lot if you air fry them, so it might just also be an excellent way for those on a diet to enjoy this shellfish.
- They’re rich in proteins. A 100g serving of oysters will give you 9g of proteins.
- It has a lot of omega-3 fatty acids. This ingredient is also an excellent source for good cholesterol. This makes it good for your heart as well.
- It can help speed up wound healing and boost your immune system. Thanks to its zinc content, it can contribute to your body’s efforts to help you recover from different kinds of damage faster.
It’s rich in other nutrients and minerals that are good for your body. These include calcium, phosphorus, copper, iron, and selenium.